*** DRAFT ***
SQLite Release 3.22.0 (Pending)
- The output of sqlite3_trace_v2() now shows each individual SQL statement
run within a trigger.
- Add the ability to read from WAL mode databases even if the application
lacks write permission on the database and its containing directory, as long as
the -shm and -wal files exist in that directory.
- Added the rtreecheck() scalar SQL function to the R-Tree extension.
- Added the sqlite3_vtab_nochange() and sqlite3_value_nochange() interfaces
to help virtual table implementations optimize UPDATE operations.
- Added the sqlite3_vtab_collation() interface.
- Added support for the "^" initial token syntax in FTS5.
- New extensions:
- The Zipfile virtual table can read and write a
- Added the fsdir(PATH) table-valued function to the
for listing the files in a directory.
- The sqlite_btreeinfo
eponymous virtual table for introspecting and estimating the sizes of
the btrees in a database.
- The Append VFS is a
VFS shim that allows an SQLite database to be appended to some other
file. This allows (for example) a database to be appended to an
executable that then opens and reads the database.
- Query planner enhancements:
- The optimization that uses an index to quickly compute an
aggregate min() or max() is extended to work with
indexes on expressions.
- The decision of whether to implement a FROM-clause subquery
as a co-routine or using query flattening
now considers whether
the result set of the outer query is "complex" (if it
contains functions or expression subqueries). A complex result
set biases the decision toward the use of co-routines.
- The planner avoids query plans that use indexes with unknown
- The planner omits unused LEFT JOINs even if they are not the
right-most joins of a query.
- Other performance optimizations:
- A smaller and faster implementation of text to floating-point
conversion subroutine: sqlite3AtoF().
- The Lemon parser generator creates a faster parser.
- Use the strcspn() C-library routine to speed up the LIKE and
- Improvements to the command-line shell:
- The ".schema" command shows the structure of virtual tables
inside of a comment.
- Added support for reading and writing
SQL Archive files using
the .archive command.
- Added the experimenal .expert command
- Added the ".eqp trigger" variant of the ".eqp" command
- Enhance the ".lint fkey-indexes" command so that it works with
WITHOUT ROWID tables.
- If the filename argument to the shell is a ZIP archive rather than
an SQLite database, then the shell automatically opens that ZIP
archive using the Zipfile virtual table.
- Added the edit() SQL function.
- Added the .excel command to simplify exporting
database content to a spreadsheet.
- Databases are opened using
Append VFS when
the --append flag is used on the command line or with the
- Enhance the SQLITE_ENABLE_UPDATE_DELETE_LIMIT compile-time option so
that it works for WITHOUT ROWID tables.
- Provide the sqlite_offset(X) SQL function that returns
the byte offset into the database file to the beginning of the record
holding value X, when compiling with -DSQLITE_ENABLE_OFFSET_SQL_FUNC.
- Bug fixes:
- Infinite loop on an UPDATE that uses an OR operator in the WHERE clause.
Problem introduced with 3.17.0 and reported on the mailing list about
one year later. Ticket
- Incorrect query results when the skip-ahead-distinct optimization is
- Incorrect query results on a join with a ORDER BY DESC. Ticket
- Inconsistent result set column names between CREATE TABLE AS
and a simple SELECT. Ticket
- Assertion fault when doing REPLACE on an index on an expression.
- Assertion fault when doing an IN operator on a constant index.
- SQLITE_SOURCE_ID: Pending
- SHA3-256 for sqlite3.c: Pending
A complete list of SQLite releases
in a single page and a chronology are both also available.
A detailed history of every
check-in is available at
SQLite version control site.
*** DRAFT ***